MLB hopes for new Japan posting deal by next month

ORLANDO, FLA.—Major League Baseball hopes to reach a new agreement on a posting system with Japan by early December, a deal that would allow star pitcher-outfielder Shohei Otani to start negotiations with big league teams.

Dan Halem, MLB’s chief legal officer Dan Halem said Wednesday a new framework has been agreed to with Nippon Professional Baseball and that a deal with the Major League Baseball Players Association could happen “maybe within a week.” After that, MLB owners would hold a conference call for an approval vote.

Otani, a 23-year-old with the Pacific League’s Nippon Ham Fighters, would be restricted to a minor-league contract with a maximum signing bonus of $3,535,000, with each team having different amounts to spend.

Halem also hopes to have a separate deal with the players’ association by mid-January on pace-of-play changes such as a pitch clock, limits on mound visits and split screens to allow commercials on broadcasts as half-innings start.

ALL EARS: New Marlins CEO Derek Jeter says the team is listening to trade offers for slugging outfielder Giancarlo Stanton and says Miami must make changes to stop losing money.

Ahead of the first major league owners’ meeting since Bruce Sherman’s group bought the team last month and put the former New York Yankees captain in charge, Jeter said he has not spoken yet with Stanton.

Jeter says “a lot of this started when he came out and expressed publicly that he didn’t want to be part of a rebuild.”

Stanton is guaranteed $295 million over the remaining 10 years of his contract.

Jeter says “it’s an organization that’s been losing money for quite some time, so we have to turn that around” and adds “it’s easy to point the finger at him, because he makes the most money, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that that’s the move that’s going to be made.”